In November 2013 Verizon Galaxy S4 SCH-I545 received the first Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update with build number VRUEMJ7, but it had some bugs. However earlier this month Verizon rolled another OTA update [VRUEMK2] with bug fixes. These bug fixes included various improvements and enhancements such as better email connectivity, non-Samsung charger compatibility, improved roaming in Canada and Mexico, better data connections through proxy servers and so on.
If you rooted Galaxy S4 on OTA Update VRUEMJ7, you would have noticed that the Device must have lost your root access after the VRUEMK2 Update. Well, you need not worry becaus another root exploit for the Verizon S4 [MK2 build] is now available.
Rooting your Verizon S4 SCH-I545/AT&T S4 SGH-I337 will void it warranty. The procedure described is safe to use but we do not warrant that it is 100% safe, so proceed at your own risk. We recommend you to be very careful while performing each and every task mentioned in the Tutorial. Any wrong step may result in your devise getting Bricked.
Sometimes Android users shirk from rooting their device as they are afraid of losing the manufacturer’s warranty. But Saferoot script by k1mu from XDA just does not trip the custom binary or KNOX warranty counter of the Verizon Galaxy S4.
Kimu’s root exploit for the Verizon and AT&T Galaxy S4 works great on builds VRUEMJ7 and VRUEMK2 both. But at last neither we nor developer of this exploit will be liable for any mishap. The guide applies to Verizon S4 SCH-I545/AT&T S4 SGH-I337 with built number VRUEMK2 only.
- Make sure your phone’s battery is charged at least 50% level.
- Make sure USB Debugging is enabled. To Do So go to Settings > General > Developer options > USB Debugging and enable it by checking the box.
- Please Backup all your Data before proceeding further. (IMPORTANT)
- Make sure you have latest Samsung USB Drivers or Samsung Kies (inclusive of drivers). If you do not already have it find it in the download section below.
- Download and install the latest Samsung USB Drivers or Samsung Kies on your PC (skip if you have any of them already):
- Download and Extract the Saferoot.zip file to Desktop/New Folder.
Steps on How to Root Verizon & AT&T Galaxy S4 on Android 4.3:
- Connect your Galaxy S4 to computer using USB cable.
- Now open the folder where you extracted “Saferoot.zip” (here Desktop/New Folder). Run “install.bat” from the folder by double-clicking on it.
- Further a command prompt window will open and it will try to find your device and when it gets detected, the “Saferoot script” will run automatically attempt to root your Verizon S4 SCH-I545/AT&T S4 SGH-I337 on VRUEMJ7 or VRUEMK2 firmware.
- When the task gets completed the device will automatically reboot.
Now go to your phone’s app drawer and there you should now find a new app called “SuperSU” . This therefore indicates that your device has root access now. To further verify it Install the following App.